Chicheley Hall, in Chicheley, Buckinghamshire, is an English country house built in the first quarter of the 18th century in the Baroque style.
An ancient manor house on the site belonged to the Pagnell family of Newport Pagnell, but was given by them to the church. Cardinal Wolsey gave it to Christ Church, Oxford, but it reverted to the Crown, and was acquired by a wool merchant, Anthony Cave, in 1545, who built a manor house in the form of a hollow square. On his death the house was left to his daughter Judith, who had married her cousin William Chester, son of Sir William Chester. Their only son Anthony was High Sheriff of Buckinghamshire for 1602 and created a baronet in 1620. The house then descended in the Chester family to the time of the English Civil War, when it was shelled by Parliamentary forces and eventually demolished. The present Chicheley Hall was built in the early 1700s on the same site. All that remains of the old manor house today is one Jacobean over-mantel with termini caryatids, and some panelling in the ‘new’ Chicheley Hall. Weikipedia
Address: Chicheley Rd, Newport Pagnell MK16 9JJ
Construction started: 1719
Phone: 01234 868650
Architectural style: English Baroque
Architect: Francis Smith of Warwick